Thursday, July 4, 2019

Door to Door

I opened the door to a neatly dressed stranger with a briefcase. "Can I help you?" I asked skeptically.

"You certainly can!" They flashed me a broad grin that made it abundantly clear that they were selling something. "Have you heard the good word about hypnosis?"

"I'm not interested, have a nice—" I paused midway through shutting the door as their words registered. "Did you say hypnosis?"

"Yes indeed! Here, take a pamphlet." They thrust one at me, and my eyes practically crossed at the black and white spiral that seemed to move of its own accord. "Can I come in?"

Without waiting for an answer, they stepped inside. "I'm so excited to talk to you about hypnosis today. If you'll just take a look in here..."

With a loud click, they opened their briefcase and held it out for me to see. I peered inside.

Rows upon rows of crystals sparkled at me, winking invitingly in the light. "If you'll just look a little closer," said the stranger amiably, "you can really start to see the hypnotic properties..."

* * * * * * * * * *

They and I spent a lovely hour together in my kitchen, talking about their wares and... about hypnosis, I guess. I don't remember much of the details. But they were so nice, and so easy to talk to, so pleasant to listen to, that the time just flew by. When they left, I waved them off warmly, a brochure on my table and a brand new pocket-watch in my hand.

I returned to the kitchen, and noticed with mild surprise that my underwear were slung over one of the chairs. "How odd," I mused as I sat down and pulled the brochure towards me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Unaware

(NB dom/F sub; amnesia, time dilation) “Sarah? Sarah!” Sarah came back to herself with a start. “Oh, sorry, did I zone out? I’m just… w...